Thursday 19 September 2013

Free time to relax with a flat pack IKEA number.

19th September 2013

A nice relaxing morning spent constructing an IKEA unit.

Today I had the whole day off.  (Took kids to school, took one to the doctor then back to school, went to the chemist for prescription, posted a letter and got petrol for the car. In the afternoon there was a meeting in the school about an activity away week for year six, then in the evening an open day for new intake at the local High School for 2014).  So a quiet day. I like to keep busy and today I had a new 'Micke' unit from Ikea to build.  I am currently on a de-clutter roll.  This has probably been kick started by doing Imelda's house but is also my version of Spring cleaning - in Autumn - I always get things arse-backwards but hey that is just me.

I guess I am a little bit unusual.  My mates think I am 'Batty but in a nice way' (that bit is probably true).  One of my mates said that if I were ever to lose my marbles they would never know as I am barking mad anyway but that she loved me just the way I am. Aww, I'm not entirely sure that is a good thing but I will assume it is for the time being.  Anyway, my idea of a relaxing morning is having a nice IKEA flat pack piece of furniture, new and in a box to set up.  I have my music on, a nice cup of coffee (or beer if I am feeling particularly frivolous) and of course a bag of Galaxy Bites to keep me going.  I made the whole thing today in 80 minutes which is not bad.

Before 10am

After :)   11.20ish

It is to be a sewing work desk for me to get creative in my spare time.  I do not have a lot of spare time as I also have a job and three children, but when I do I like to make collector teddy bears (mohair, fully jointed and weighted) and sock monkeys.  I also sew PE bags for kids with their name in ribbons, I carve wooden hedgehogs.  As I said - I like to be busy.

I had gone to IKEA with a view to finding some sort of solution to Imelda's shoe issue.  There were a few cabinets for up to about ten pairs - however Imelda has an infinite number of shoes (it would appear).  In every space there is a shoe and even when it appears there are no more in that room there will appear a box in a shadowy corner which will contain - go on guess... - a pair of shoes!

Once I had finished the Micke desk (see above) I also had a 'Helmer' filing cabinet also from Ikea to assemble.  I have already got two of these and so I do not need to read the instructions.  When I had made the base and feet I realised the top was warped.  Not good.  I rang IKEA to see if I needed to take the whole thing back or whether I could just take the top back.  While I was on hold on the phone to them I managed to finish the whole cabinet including all six of the drawers, handles and feet.  I put the warped top on the cabinet to give it some stability.  Now the top will not come off.  Is that their idea - keep the customer on the phone so long they will work out how to make the thing themselves?  Or possibly the customer will be on so long they will eventually lose the will to live - IKEA will not have to deal with the call in either case.

I did not succeed in my mission to find a shoe tower or similar.  I guess the perfect solution would be a large wire rack type arrangement from floor to ceiling.  I have the excuse to continue looking.

************




No comments: