Monday 1 June 2015

What would YOU do with a 25 year old jumper which has been feasted on by moths?

Imelda came to my house today as my son (his grandson) had his birthday. Imelda had bought him a small box of chocolates and a large choc bar - surprise No. 1 - they were IN DATE and surprise No.2 - he had WRAPPED them - as in real paper and not a wrapped round carrier bag as has, to date, been his usual style.  The paper did have gold, suspiciously Christmassy looking pine trees on it but we will overlook that and thank him for his thoughtful gift.

He asked if I would darn his gardening jumper which has had its arm chomped by a small army of moths.  I am more than capable of doing this - it is an old jumper so does not have to be an expert job, it is his gardening jumper so is full of scaggs anyway but it is the SMELL of the thing. Imelda does not want to wash it 'lest it falls to pieces'.

I don't want it in my house as whatever was living in it may still be laying eggs in it and I don't want any of that anywhere near my house.

I asked him why he doesn't simply throw it out.
The idea was foreign to him - throwing something out!? Whatever did I mean? It was his GARDENING jumper!
So I asked why he didn't use his NEW (as in bought for him for Christmas 2001 for the garden) yellow jumper which he has NEVER worn. He said yellow was not the colour for the garden.
WHAT?  I had to push this point - his current one was about 25 years old, riddled with moth holes scagged, ripped, mis-shapen and scraggy and he had one he had NEVER used but didn't want to wear it in the garden because 'yellow is not the colour for the garden'. (Hello - ever heard of a daffodil? I digress)..
Again I asked why he did not bin the scraggy one and wear the yellow one. I asked who he thought would wear the yellow one if not him.
He said that I may want the yellow jumper one day??!!??!! (Hell NO!)
I pointed out it would not fit me, was about 8 sizes too big, not my style, had been bought for him, and was not coming anyway near my house..
He ignored this and asked would I fix it or not.
Again (I had to ask) why couldn't he use the yellow one - what else would he ever use it for?
He said if I was going to ask stupid questions then why didn't I ask about the brown jumper or indeed his green one, the colour wasn't the point and was I going to fix the damn thing or not?
Hoarder logic makes no sense in my world.
I now expect to find a scraggy plastic bag outside my door one day with the gardening jumper inside. Imelda will have decided I have agreed to 'darn' the damn thing.
If I find it anywhere near my house, I will double bag it and head for the garage or if I am feeling daring, the bin.

1 comment:

Gerald K. said...

Check out my answer to what is call centre outsourcing? What Is Call Centre Outsourcing?